Friday, July 13, 2007

July 13, 2007

Breakfast at this hotel truly is divine. After stuffing ourselves full we headed back up to the room to find that the camera battery was dead. Uh-oh! So we plugged it in and let it charge as we packed. Travis went downstairs to pay the hotel bill. I followed him down after a bit to find him still there. Turns out we owed $134 for our phone bill. Whoopsies! No one told us that using the phone (while also using a calling card) cost money. Weirdos. Plus, they didn't charge us for the phone on our last stay at that hotel. Perhaps I shouldn't have talked to Mom for so long? Well, the person at the desk was very nice and decided not to charge us for it. Whew!

Our first stop was at the brook where David picked out stones to sling at Goliath. Having purchased slings back in Jerusalem for the express purpose of having a photo shoot for David and Goliath, we decided to have a go at it. Well, Travis did anyway. Well, let's just say that he tried hard. The two young shepherd boys over yonder had pity on him and came on over, abandoning their flocks, in exchange for giving Travis a lesson. Imagine these two little boys, no older than 14, teaching a ... ummm... much older Travis how to throw a rock. It was a gleeful thing to witness. Travis also got a photo shoot out of them after they finally went back to their flock. (Something of interest: they don't cut the tails of their sheep in Israel. Did you know that sheep tails actually get quite long and curl? Which makes me wonder, why do we cut the tails off of our sheep?)

Next stop, Bet Guvrion. These are the bell caves. Very photogenic, but for the first time of my trip with Travis, I became bored out of my mind. Typically his photo shoots intrigue me, but I think I was getting a little trunky and wanting to go home while sitting in a cave with nothing to do. At least it was cool inside the cave. Of course, as soon as Travis finally said we could go (days later), Bro. Huntington and his class showed up in the cave. So, of course, I changed my mind about wanting to scurry out. We stayed and talked for awhile, happy that we ran into them on one of their field trips (since we weren't allowed to tag along on them). (Ok, so maybe I happened to know that this was the day that they were going to Bet Guvrion. But I didn't know what time they'd be there!)

As we headed back to Jerusalem we stopped at a gas station. Travis stayed outside to fill up the car with gas while I went inside to fill us up with food. I waited and waited and waited for him (he had the money) before he finally came inside. We bought our sandwiches then went outside on a picnic table to eat. It was then that he confessed why he took so long. He didn't know how to fill the car up with gas. Bahahaha! After how many decades of filling up his own car with gas, he couldn't do it in a foreign country. So, remember how the last time we filled up in Galilee a serviceman did it for us? And remember how he typed in our license plate? Turns out you always have to do that. Heaven only knows why. But since all of the instructions were in Hebrew, Travis had no idea that's what the machine wanted him to enter. Thank goodness for friendly English speaking bikers. (Never thought you would here me say that did ya?)

Then it was back to the hotel where we went to bed early, since Travis is crazy and wanted to wake up for sunrise.

Our only quote for today is kind of lame. I remember it being hilarious and starting to write it down, only to get interrupted. Over and over again. This is as far as I got... lame, huh?

Tianna: "Would it have killed a giant?"
Travis: "If I ...."

No comments: