Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Ring out wild bells

Well, it's officially 2008. I finally got used to writing 2007 (we'll ignore those few instances when I wrote 2005 or something else ridiculously silly) and here it is, time to change again.

2007 was a great year. Quick year in review:

- Last [real] semester in school. Killer semester. In fact, I was registered for the killer class of death.
- Wrote a 21 page paper using Hogwarts (from Harry Potter) to teach Ancient Near Eastern Temple Typology. Most amazing paper of my life. Really... I sat in the library listening to the Harry Potter soundtracks, searching through the Harry Potter Lexicon, and still felt productive... even during the most stressful times of the semester. For the record, that paper determined my entire grade for my Senior Research class. And I got an A.
- Wrote an 11 page exegetical paper on Genesis 38. If any of you know what Genesis 38 is about, you'll probably think me a heathen or something right now. But let me assure you, I am nothing of the sort. I would have no qualms letting my bishop read said paper. It is in our scriptures, folks. Perhaps it's there for a reason.
- To combat the stress of such a killer semester, I took Basket Weaving (yes, folks, it does exist) and joined a bowling league.
- I finally graduated! I now have a Bachelors of Art in Ancient Near Eastern Studies.
- I fulfilled my lifelong dream of going to Jerusalem. Not only did I go, but I lived there, too! Both as a study abroad, and then as individual travelers with my brother, Travis. (I don't feel as though I need to go into more details on this one, since the rest of my blog prior to these last two posts is dedicated solely to this excursion.)
- I finally broke my two-week dating curse. There is hope for me, folks.
- I got a full-time job working for the Church. ("Which church?" asked former roommate, Kiley. "Ummm... ours," says I.)
- I've lasted 5.5 months as Relief Society president.
- I'm growing out my hair for Locks of Love. I'm realizing that I may actually like my hair long. This thing I had not fathomed since around 7th or 8th grade.
- I've eaten lunch with Pres. Monson twice. (Story from the latest lunch to come soon.)
- I live with two of my favorite people ever. (One of my other favorite people lived with me until February.) I couldn't ask for better roommates.
- I live in the coolest house ever. Back yard and front yard. Two living rooms. Dishwasher, washer and drier, A/C, heater, a hidden cellar, and a place for a garden which I've planted two years in a row now. It's also close to campus with fairly decent rent. Oh sure, we struggle with getting anything repaired... it took 6 weeks to get our bathroom sink fixed... but I still love living here.
- I totaled my car. Caused a 4-car pile-up on the freeway during rush hour. I even made my former boss late for a meeting. I am now known to one of our vendors as the girl who totaled her car and still came to a work luncheon. (Really, how else would I ever eat a $25 meal for free?)
- I got a new (to me) car. It's actually Damian's old car. His name is Charlie. He's not my old car, to be sure, but I'm slowly becoming fond of the guy.

And many, many, many other things. It's been a happy year... hope 2008 is great as well.

2 comments:

Holdinator said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holdinator said...

Sorry about that first comment. After posting it, I read it and realized there was a serious grammatical error. Inasmuch as I commented on how writing those two papers for Brothers Seely and Wayment signify some of our greatest accomplishments in life, I couldn't justify leaving it out there for all to see just how wonderful a fellow ANES graduate's writing skills are. Anyway, I liked your year in review.