Thursday, June 14, 2007

June 12, 2007

Today was our last classes. It was kind of sad, I'll be honest. Bro. Merrill humored me and let us sing Come Unto Him. After lunch, we all met together and went on our Separation Wall tour. He went into a lot of politics for the first bit, and I can honestly say that I didn't understand most of it. So, I'll just tell you what I now understand. So, the Israelis have decided to build a wall around Jerusalem and surrounding Israeli cities. It separates the Israelis from the Palestinians, and you can only cross through checkpoints. Good news is, it has basically stopped all suicide bombings. The only one they've had since the wall went up was someone who swam in the Red Sea and entered down by Eliat. Bad news. It's a pain. Children who used to have a five-minute walk to school now have an hour and a half drive (which also inconveniences the parents) or have to switch schools. It has destroyed the economy of the outside Palestinian communities. Just look at Bethlehem. It is so sad! The graffiti on the wall showed us that the people hated it as well. I didn't really get the full grasp on it (ok, I still don't) until someone called it the Berlin Wall of the Holy Land. That hit home and hurt. I have such conflicting feelings. I feel for those people who have had their lives torn apart because of the wall. However, it's due to the wall that Jerusalem has experienced enough peace to allow the Center to reopen. And it's not just for my sake, but for the peace in the land. Honestly, why can't we all just get along?! I really don't get how people can get so angry that they would turn to violence, to murder! I've never understood war. I don't think I ever will.

No comments: