Wednesday, May 2, 2007

April 30, 2007

Orientation was amazing. You know it's a good session when you are shocked the three hours are over. It was very informative and I'm glad they told us the hows and whys of everything. However, I really wish they had done it a week or two ago. It seriously called for some change of plans in my shopping. For the first time, I was glad that I had procrastinated. :) Well, except when I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get everything done. Thank goodness for a mom who loves me and is willing to drive home in the middle of the night and for roommates who are willing to drive me around and around and around. And an honorable mention to Old Navy that let me stay there, trying on clothes, after they closed.

Wait. Back to orientation. I must tell the amazing funny story before I tangent. So, the guy in charge, I forget his name right off-hand, was pretty strict, in a very respectable kind of way. But really, he struck me slightly of McGonagall—someone you just don't want to cross. Anyway, part way through, this student stood up and started to walk to the back of the auditorium. Apparently, he felt it important to answer his phone. Mr. What's-his-bucket didn't seem too pleased. He point blank told the guy to turn off his phone, but the guy kept going. We all just stared. He tried to keep going with the presentation, but we were just about to start the "Rules" section, and felt that this boy needed to be there. So he sent Debbie to bring him back. Debbie returned with the news that the boy had gone AWOL. Based on the look on Mr. Presentor's face, Mom and I seriously feared for the boy's position on the program. He then spent the rest of the orientation focused on rules and following them to the letter and not questioning, just doing. About 15 minutes before the end of the orientation, his phone rang. Yes. After all his ranting about turning off cell phones and following every rule, his own cell phone rang. You could see the embarrassment on his face as he walked over to his cell phone, muttered something about not allowing this in his classes (He's an Econ teacher), then opened and closed his phone to end the call. The look of embarrassment immediately turned to shock and a slight tinge of fear when he realized who the caller was that he had just hung up on. With wide eyes he confessed to us, "I just hung up on Elder Holland." A howl of laughter erupted in the auditorium. Just before the phone rang, he had been telling us that he would be joining us at the Center in May. After his shocked confession, with disbelief mixed with the fear, he stated, "I may not be joining you in May after all. I may not have a job then." Then started the debates as to whether he should called Elder Holland back or wait until the end of the orientation. His decision was made for him, however, when his phone rang again. By this point, we were all rolling on the floor in laughter, encouraging him to answer it this time, which he did. Much to our satisfaction, even though he walked off to the edge of the stage, he kept his microphone on. I love one-ended phone conversations. "Hello. How are you doing? ... Well, I'm sitting here in front of a few hundred students going to the Jerusalem Center. ... I'll be done in twenty minutes, can I call you back? ... Alright, bye." He then turned to us, red creeping up his cheeks, "Elder Holland sends you his love." Oh boy. What a grand way to end the orientation.

Next came last minute shopping. Mom stayed with me for much longer than anticipated. I don't think she wanted to leave her baby unprepared to go to Jerusalem. :) We met up with my roommates, Jess and Carli, and ate dinner, then Mom left for home. Part two of scavenger shopping began. I learned that I really should have planned it better and gone to the stores that close early first and Wal-Mart last. But alas, 8:50 pm found us frantically driving from store to store, trying to find one last shirt and skirt. Finally, we pulled back into home around 10, where we watched the Documentary on the Mormons whilst I packed. Shana and Brett both came by to say good-bye. I really do have the greatest friends.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Oh my! That is one of the best embarrassing cell phone stories I've heard! Haha!!