Sunday, May 27, 2007

May 25, 2007

The morning started bright and early. Breakfast from 6-7:15, OT test at 7:30. ~sigh. It's funny to me, this test was over the period of the Judges and the early United Monarchy—something that hardly anyone knew anything about. Yet, everyone did a whole lot better on this one than they did over Genesis—all the stories we've been raised on. After this test, there were actually smiles. I've been doing quite well. I got a 28/30, if I remember correctly. And that's before he adds in the essays. So I'm not too upset. Everyone seems to have done rather well, though. Which makes me very happy. Especially for this class, people keep coming up to me to study with me. They think they have the better end of the deal because I help them remember things; I think I have the better end of the deal because I remember better when I teach. So it's a win/win situation. I was given the nicest compliment about my teaching style. "I love studying with you because I love your stories. The way you tell stories helps me remember the details of them." That makes me very happy. It's rekindling my desire to write a book of Bible stories in a fashion that helps people understand and remember. There are some incredible stories in the Bible, that without the proper historical background or sense of humor, are simply looked over and not seen for their true value. Actually, a part of me wants to take some storytelling classes and learn better how to express my stories in front of the public. I would love to be a storyteller. I give full credit for the idea to Taralyn and her mom, Teresa—a professional storyteller. It was listening to stories at the Timp. Storytelling Festival that I realized I would enjoy something like that. Then getting involved with the Board, I've had several people tell me that they love my stories. Every time I hear that, it gives me a bit more hope. Perhaps I should do something about it. So there it is. My next goal—to either write or tell Bible stories.

Our day was free after lunch. Our last free Friday afternoon in Jerusalem. That's so weird. The rest of our Fridays will either be in Galilee, Bethlehem or Jordan. Wow. Only 3 Friday's left. That sounds a lot shorter than three weeks. It's coming up so fast, yet, going by so slowly. It's funny how time can work like that. I had a bunch to do in the city, so I jumped on the chance to go shopping. Because it's a Friday, we're not allowed in the Old City until 2 or 3 (it's the Muslim day of prayer on the Temple Mount). We wanted to go earlier than that, so we went straight to Omar's. Brianna wanted to make sure she got a nativity before they were all sold out. We got there right after another large group and were followed in by yet another group. The shop was packed. It was craziness. Luckily, all the groups were students in our group. Odd thing was, though, Omar wasn't there. The shopkeeper next door told us that he would be back "soon." So helpful these people are. :) 20 or so minutes later Omar showed up with a big box of ice creams. Mmm... he knows how to win us over. Bro. Merrill is amazed at how much ice cream our class goes through. I would be curious how much money we've spent on ice cream alone. One bar costs anywhere between 6-12 shekels, depending on how touristy the place is. That's $1.50-$3.00. And we don't even bat an eye in forking it over. The penny pincher in me held strong for a long time... but I've given in. They're just so good! The one I really want, however, has been no where to be found ever since I caved. A coconut Nok Out. Every time someone around me is eating one, I can smell it; I have been craving it for a week or so now. ~sigh.

Then it was into the old city. I see now why they tell us to wait. We went in around 2:15 and it was so packed!!! Wow... wow. There were so many people there. We literally held on to each other's fanny pack straps and walked closely in single file to make sure we didn't lose anyone. It took us a half hour to walk what typically takes us 10-15 minutes, if even that. I finally gave in and bought me a handbag. It proved quite useful as I spent the rest of the day shopping since it's much easier to carry things in than a fanny pack is. :) I got more postcards for mom... perhaps I should start writing on them and mail them. :D hehe I got Dad and Stacie's souvenirs. Oh, and Jalin's new baby. I love when I find things that just scream that they need to be purchased for a specific person. Much easier to buy things that way. :D After awhile, we found a T-shirt shop that prints the shirts right there. So you pick your color and size and design, then he makes it right there. For $4. So I bought myself 3 t-shirts and a sweater. Yay! Now I can finally wear some cute t-shirts that aren't 12 sizes too big for me. (Mom, we were definitely way too cautious in our clothes shopping.) I also bought me a sweatshirt. Tragically, it's got the Israeli flag on it, which constitutes a political statement, so I can only wear it in the Center. Don't you worry, I'm wearing it right now. But that's ok. I don't really see a need for me to be wearing a sweatshirt outside. Ever. It's way too hot for that.

We've actually been quite lucky with weather. The classic phrase every field trip by Bro. Merrill is, "Wow, this is quite extraordinary weather. You'll never see this again." Yet, we see it every time. It's quite often overcast, which makes it much cooler, so we're not all dying of heat exhaustion. Tragically, that often means it's hazy, so we can't see very far. But usually we have at least one day where we can see really far and tell how close everything is. It's pure craziness is what it is. Even when we're just out in the city, it's quite often rather cool (considering where we are). Oh sure, we have our really hot days, but it's nothing like what I was expecting. Someone is paying their tithing, that's for sure. Keep it up whoever you are! (Travis—take note. Cuz we want this weather to continue when you get here.)

On the way home, Rebecca gave me the nicest compliment, ever. Actually, I can't really say ever, because I could quite easily say that about every thing she ever says to me. Rebecca is the epitome of the person I want to be. She talks to everyone, is constantly looking out for other people, and is full of love and compassion. I absolutely love that girl. So, we're walking home from the city, Rebecca, Cambell, and I were talking about whether it would be better to have the truth and not live it or to be a devout worshipper of a false religion. At some point, I said something and Cambell was like, "Have you been on a mission?" To which I laughed and said no. (So many people here ask me if I've been on a mission. At the most random times! Adrian tells me it's because I'm spiritually mature. Which I also think is an amazing compliment.) Rebecca didn't bat an eye. "Tianna is a constant missionary. She just works to always bring people to Christ." This is a typical Rebecca statement. I thanked her for the compliment and started to move on the conversation. But she stopped me, "If the definition of missionary work is bringing souls to Christ, then any time you help someone's testimony to grow, you're doing missionary work. Tianna, you have helped my testimony several times since we've been here. You are a constant missionary here." How am I not supposed to tear up at that one? She is simply among the sweetest people to grace the face of the earth.

After dinner I started working on homework. It was my last chance to study for my Archaeology test on Sunday. 30 minutes into it, Theresa came down and informed me that I was working snack bar. Blast—I had forgotten. But I knew everyone else was stressed, too, and wouldn't want to work, so I headed up. (Theresa actually worked for me for a bit so I could finish typing up the study guide, since we all needed it to work on.) I love working snack bar. You get to talk to a lot of people. Everyone tries to bargain with you, but we rarely let them. Matt is the biggest sweet talker. Perhaps it's because he's such a cute 16 year old or perhaps he's just really good at sweet talking. Either way, he probably gets away with at least one discounted item per night. Tonight he somehow wormed his way into working. (I think he might actually be on the committee.) By the time I got there, he had gone through the money box and stacked up all of the coins in nice little stacks. If I so much as touched a stack, he got all defensive. It made me laugh. So he became keeper of the money for the evening. But when it came time to count it, I tried to put him in charge of it, but he quickly refused the entire responsibility. So we counted it together, having way too much fun in the process. Pretty sure that's the fastest I've ever counted the money, too. I had the box down to the Heyes' by about 10:30. Usually it's closer to 11 by the time I finally get down there. I always feel so bad keeping them up so late, but they know it's coming. ~sigh. They're really cute about it anyway. So I don't really mind.

Study until about midnight, then I decided I didn't care anymore and went to bed.

No comments: