Saturday, May 5, 2007

May 4, 2007

Geography field trip! This was our first real field trip. (Yeah, sure, we toured Jerusalem yesterday, but it was fast and we only had sites pointed out to us, sometimes with a teeny bit of explanation.) For each field trip, we are required to write in a site journal, telling what we learned, our feelings about the place, etc. I'll just put in here what I put in my site journal. Just for a bit of additional information, I have been developing a cough past few days. This was probably the first of the really bad days. Hacking coughs coming every few minutes. But don't worry, Satan has been fighting me this whole way and I have overcome. You really think I'm going to let him win out due to a cough?! I think not. Also, the day was rather hazy, so my pictures aren't as clear as they could have been, but it also kept the temperature cooler, for which we were very grateful. We even had a breeze come through here and there. Some places had full out wind as you can tell from my hair in a picture. :)

Seven Arches outlook (next to the Seven Arches hotel)
This outlook provided a spectacular view of Jerusalem. From here we could see the many different landmarks that are found in and around the city. We also had a great view of the Hinnom, Tyropean, and Kidron valleys. Bro. Merrill pointed out the city of David, though, at that angle, I really couldn't pick it out. It saddened me. We could also see the stairs from the Herodian temple. He pointed out that the Jews could worship there as well, but almost 2,000 years of tradition keeps them at the Western Wall. You know, I had never actually thought about the Jews being able to worship at the stairs. Huh. He also pointed out all of the different domes and churches that I have heard of hundreds of times, but am now finally getting a grasp on and cementing them in my head. As I looked out over the city, it reminded me of the Greg Olsen painting, "Oh Jerusalem." I realized that certainly such places exist where the Savior could have sat and meditated and looked out over the entire city. It gave the place a very reminiscent feel to it.

Also amazing about this site were the vast number of graves surrounding it. Hundreds of thousands of graves—all above ground—is very awe inspiring. You can't help but have a feeling of respect and reverence for such a place. (Although, the Muslim graveyard and filled in Golden Gate—both to prevent the Jewish Messiah from coming does seem a tinsy bit overboard. :D )

Augusta Victoria Hospital/Lutheran Church of the Ascension
Oh my, what a climb. Probably not the best thing to do on a day with a bad cough. Oh, my lungs rebelled. I'm sick of this cough. Really sick of it. Despite it all, I did much better with the 10 kajillion flight climb to the top of the tower. Really, I should have counted the steps. What was I thinking? :) But, despite my growing calf muscles and my rebelling lungs, I made it to the top and was still able to enjoy the incredible view that it afforded. Being one of the highest points in the valley, we could see all over. The only problem was that they had fenced in the tower, so taking pictures was guaranteed to have little criss-crosses all over them. No good. Luckily, the had foreseen this problem and installed little window-type things. Small squares that you could push up on their hinges and take a picture. Sure, the picture has a black border around it, and you can only get 4 pictures—one for each wall of the square tower—but really, it's better than nothing. And those four shots were incredible, nevertheless.

On the East (it took me a little bit to get oriented. Honestly, I am so mixed up over here. Looking out my window should be North in my head, but it's really West. I have to find the Dome of the Rock and the al Asqa Mosque to orient myself. Also, these directions weren't the cardinal directions. Like, my west was probably more south west. But for ease of description, I'll just put the general direction) was the direction of the Dead Sea and Jericho, although, we couldn't see it due to the haze. On the South we could see the protective barrier that Israel has erected in the last few years to keep the city safe. The Muslims are protesting it, but it has greatly decreased the number of suicide bombings for which we are all grateful. Just past the wall is a little Israeli village that I forget the name of. Apparently, the Israelis are trying to surround the city with villages. On the North was the Church of the Ascension. One of the kajillion "traditional" sites where Christ ascended to heaven. On the West we could see the Jerusalem Center. It's actually really close by.

As we looked at the Center, Bro. Merrill told us a bit more about it's construction. Bro. Huntington had already told us that when they were digging the foundation, we had many supporters as well as many that opposed us. Those not in favor of the Center came and oversaw the digging of the foundation. If even one grave were to be uncovered, we would have to stop. Miraculously (especially considering how there are graves everywhere here), no grave was unearthed. Later, they were building a main road just east of the Center and unearthed a grave. Bro. Huntington had actually been present when they found the grave, and thus was able to help them dig it out and, after much persuasion, was able to take pictures, inside and out. As we reminisced about that story, Bro. Merrill told us about a quote by Pres. Faust which basically stated his belief that the site for the Center was preserved for thousands of years for this building.

Now, back to the church. When we were done with the tower, we climbed back downstairs and toured the second and first floors of the church. Being a Lutheran chapel, it was covered in Christian paintings and sculptures. It was incredible. I really appreciated this site because, having studied the ANE so much, I've actually acquired a rather bitter taste in my mouth for the early Christian church. Like, I know that they were important in preserving Christianity—paving a way for the Church to be restored. I am grateful for them, really I am. However, I am not a fan of the way they treated other ancient artifacts. Many sacred spots, they built on top of, so we can't excavate and see what the other sites were like. They also would deface sculptures and paintings because they were pagan. Looking at it now, from a scholarly perspective, it deeply saddens me to see all of this valuable stuff just... gone. However, walking around this church, feeling the spirit of reverence and respect that these Christians felt about their Savior, brought upon me a new-found feeling of respect for them. I suppose I should come out of my Jewish bubble and see the beauty in the early Christian church as well.

Deir Elayas (also known as Mar Elyas)
This is the traditional spot where Elijah stopped on his way to Horeb. It's basically a hill behind a mosque to the south of the city. Here we were able to see where Bethlehem is (he said on a clear day, we would actually be able to see. It's craziness to actually see how close Bethlehem is to Jerusalem. To be able to see both places with only a turn of the head... wow. He also pointed out Shepherd's Hill. Apparently, back in the day they used to take the students out to Shepherd's Hill where they had a grand view of Bethlehem, and watch as shepherds herded their flocks on the hill, providing the perfect atmosphere. However, there's now a village and the protective wall in the way, so we can no longer do that. ~sigh. Sometimes I really wish I could have come back in a happier day. But alas, it does me no good to envy previous groups. I should be happy with simply being here.

Haas Promenade
This site provided yet another panoramic view of the city. (This point well proven by the guy trying to sell us all panoramic posters of the city. Bro. Merrill made us all chuckle when, through our headsets (we all get fanny packs with headsets in them to wear on field trips so that he can talk to us all at the same time, and so we can actually hear him), he told us that's what the city looks like on a clear day. For it was still very hazy.) Bro. Merrill was able to point out more definitively where the city of David was, which was neat because, although I knew it in theory (i.e. from a hand-drawn map), I had yet to be able to see it and pick it out in real life. This spot provided a spectacular view of a road that goes right down the middle of the hill that the City of David sat upon. By using this road as a guide, I was finally able to visualize where the valleys were that surrounded it. Stinkin' Romans that knocked down the city and filled in the Tyropean valley.... grrr...

Then we ate lunch. I love being able to eat while looking out at Jerusalem.

Nabi Samwil
This is the "traditional" site where Samuel was buried. Rather silly, though, since the scriptures tell us he was buried elsewhere. But it is also believed that this is the place where Hannah bathed when she was praying to conceive Samuel. 2 Chronicles 1:3—this site is the high place of Gibeon. It's craziness. From the top of this Mosque (shared by Jews and Muslims alike), we could see for miles in all directions. Turning to the North was a rather close hill where Joshua fought the armies that were trying to destroy Gibeon. To the southeast, not 10 miles away we can see Jerusalem. When Richard the Lionhearted came in the Crusades, this spot is the furthest he got before he was stopped by the Muslim army he had come to crush. The poor guy... he was so close—he could see his destination—yet, never made it. In french, this hill is called the Hill of Joy.

I loved this place. I think it may have been my favorite of the day. It was here that I was finally able to understand and really visualize the geography of the place. I've been told through all of my studies how close each of these cities were, how small the cities were. But never in my wildest dreams did I ever internalize this information. Being able to see all these hills while Bro. Merrill went through and named them with city names that I recognized, then being able to see how small the hills are, and how few people could really have lived on top of them... wow. My eyes have truly been opened.

After the field trip
I came home with Lauren (who is in my OT class) and we both started writing in our site journals. I was tired, but not really sleepy. Mostly just physically exhausted from the taxing day. I wrote about one site and started the next before my tired body said, "Oh, Tianna. Just lay down. Just for a moment." Famous last words. Next thing I know, Theresa (in the other group) walked in. Me, not being able to admit when I have been sleeping, quickly rolled over (the door opens the other way) and opened my eyes. Theresa looked first at the sleeping Lauren, then back at me. "Lauren is sound asleep!" That made me feel better because Lauren spends a lot of time studying and it makes me feel slightly guilty that I'm not doing as much. So to know that she was sleeping made me feel much less guilt. So when Theresa left again, I rolled over and went right to sleep and slept straight through until dinner. A good couple hour nap that I desperately needed.

The Western Wall
After an early dinner, we dressed up and walked out to the Western Wall. (Thank goodness for Chakos that allowed me to walk so far without feeling super silly in a skirt and tennis shoes. Sure, the sandals were still tacky, but at least they were black to match.) It was a good 40 minute walk, uphill both ways. No joke. Sure, that means there is downhill both ways, too, but I swear they adjust so that each direction has less downhill when I'm walking upon it. :D I tried to stay close to Bro. Merrill this time. We didn't have his headsets, and I desperately wanted to hang on to every word he said. I really want to learn and remember everything I possibly can. (Perhaps I should start labeling my pictures somehow...) We passed through security and entered the secure area of the Western Wall.

I recognized at the very beginning that the sites now are very different than what I had pictured in my head. There are now buildings and villages in what used to be an empty hill. I knew that the Spirit I felt and the love I feel for this area is going to be dependent solely upon what I put into it—upon recognizing the fact that it is different, and being ok with that. I admit, I struggle sometimes, but I know that the Lord recognizes my effort, and in return, helps me through and helps me feel the Spirit in so many places.

The Western Wall was one place that I struggled to see for its worth. Perhaps it was due to the dropping temperature, my calves that were on fire, my slowly becoming very sore chest/lungs, and the persistent cough. All convinced me that I would much rather be home in my bed. However, I decided to look past all of that. I can lay in my bed anytime. How often do I get to be at the Western Wall—to see the wall that stood around the courtyard of the temple in Jesus' day? So I bucked up and entered the women's section. (The men and women's sections of worship are separated.) When my group got there (we left earlier), it wasn't very crowded. We were able to walk right up near the front and watch the women reading from the Hebrew Bible, singing, rocking, praying. Many girls in my group went up and touched the wall. I knew I should. I knew later on in my life I will want to say, "I touched the wall that Jesus touched." But I couldn't do it. I was hit with such a feeling of reverence for this place—to see the sacred nature that the Jews put upon it—and I simply couldn't bring myself to disrupt that bubble of awe that I felt. (As I'm writing this paragraph, a picture of Taralyn bulging out her eyes and sticking out her tongue popped up on the wallpaper of my desktop. Honestly, how am I supposed to talk about reverence and awe when those huge eyes are staring back at me? All I want to do is laugh!)

While standing there, I noted that about half of the women, upon completion of their worship, would back away from the wall—they wouldn't turn their backs upon it. The only thing I can figure is that, on the Day of Atonement, when the high priest entered the Holy of Holies, he would leave walking backwards—not turning his back on the Most Holy Place out of a sign of respect. With the Holy of Holies now gone, perhaps the Jews have transferred that same sign of respect to the place that they now deem the most holy—the Western Wall. By the end, my calves were definitely ready to go home, but I had also acquired a respect for these people who show so much devotion to the religion that they believe and follow.

Walking home about did me in. My lungs were burning. My calves were likewise on fire. I kept watching the Jerusalem Center in the distance, very slowly getting closer. I kept thinking about the hill that it sat upon and dreading the hike up it. Sister Heyes walked by me for awhile. We started talking about the sites that we could see along the way. I pointed out a couple of large somethings that stood in the midst of the Jewish cemetery and asked if she knew what they were. She told me that one was the tomb of Abimelech and the other was the tomb of some other biblical guy that she couldn't remember the name of. I'm now curious as to which Abimelech.... the one Abraham knew, or Solomon's brother. Hmmm... I should ask Bro. Merrill. About halfway home, I started walking by Gavin. We talked about school and his plans for the future. When we got closer to the Center and Palestinian guys started lining the streets, he switched me places to walk between them and me. It was really sweet of him. We really do have such great guys.

I then came home and lay on my bed, fully clothed, for about an hour. I tried to call Sis. Heyes several times. Earlier in the day I had approached Sis. Lee (she and her husband are the Housing Couple. Kind of our surrogate parents) about my cough. She had referred me to Sis. Huntington, a registered nurse, who in turn sent me to the Heyes' since she believed that they had cough medication. I had found Sis. Heyes earlier, and she asked if she could give it to me after we got back from the Western Wall and I had agreed. When we got back, I didn't know where she was, so I kept calling her apt. and getting a busy signal. Turns out that you have to dial 9 before the extension. Weird, since I'm used to 9 being used to dial out while their apt. is just downstairs. Anyway, got ahold of them, went down and got me some cough medication. After a few trips up to check my email and whine to my momma about my cough, I came home and went to bed. It was only 10 o'clock. I vaguely remember my other roommates coming home and whispering, but other than that, I don't recall a thing until around 7 this morning when people started getting up and ready for the day. Sleep is well needed for my body right now, methinks.

No comments: