Sunday, May 27, 2007

May 27, 2007

Wow. What a day! I got up at 3:30 this morning to study for my Archaeology midterm. I had an 8 page study guide, not to mention the 6 pages of dates that I had to memorize and the 4 articles I still had to read. ~sigh. Two hours later, I was back in bed for a short 30 minute nap. Next was breakfast then off to the City of David.

Ok, this is probably one of my most favorite field trips. Travis, we are going here when you come. It's amazing. So, we started at the City of David. We stood high where we could see over the entire city and easily see how it's possible for David to have seen Bath-sheba bathing on her rooftop. We also got a sense for how small the city actually was. Then we went in and watched a 3D movie about the history of the City of David. I didn't realize it, but I'm pretty sure that's the first 3D movie I've ever been to. I have one thing to say—never watch one of those if you're nauseous. Luckily, I wasn't. :D But wow, moving quickly around corners... I guess Kristen would fly backwards every time something came flying towards us like a bird or a rock. I'll admit, I was tempted. If I had been alone, I probably would have. And I would probably have screamed a bit, too. But for some reason, because every girl in our group screams so much, I feel silly doing it. How's that for logic? ha!

Then it was off to the best part—Hezekiah's tunnel. Because I had brought my camera wisely wrapped in a plastic bag, I ended up with a bag full of other people's valuables. Hehe... come to think about it, I still have Cambell's wallet.... I should return that. I ended up right in front of the Heyes' which suited my purposes just fine. In the spirit of protecting my camera, I decided to get as not wet as possible. Our group, being the young at heart group that we are hid in little niches through the tunnel and would splash everyone as they came by. Whenever I saw someone in front of me getting splashed I would back off, then yell "Camera and the Heyes' coming through!" Which proved perfect to not getting splashed. It was also nice to be able to simply enjoy the tunnel, wading anywhere between ankle and thigh deep water in a really narrow, sometimes rather short tunnel. Again, I'm grateful to be short. :D hehe I have a special spot in my heart for this tunnel. I've written so many papers and such about it. I've been looking forward to going there, and I wasn't disappointed.

At the end of the tunnel is a little pool, which for a long time has been thought to be the Pool of Siloam. At this pool our group turned into a group of school children and had a heyday splashing each other. I ran up the stairs and took pictures to my heart's content. I got some pretty good ones, which make me happy. As well as a couple of videos. Then on our way out, we came to the real Pool of Siloam—a very recent discovery. I think he said it was discovered in 2004. It's only been partially excavated because of property rights issues, but you get a sense for how enormous the pool really was. It really neat to sit on stones at a pool that you know was thriving during the time of Christ and listen to the story of the blind man that Christ healed on the Sabbath—putting clay on his eyes and telling him to wash in the Pool of Siloam. We were right there! Craziness.

Back to the Center an hour before the other group who were at the Jewish Quarter. I quickly changed into dry clothes, then hurried down to the laundry room. It's a rare occasion that I don't have to fight for a washer or dryer. Today was one of those beautiful rare days. Then I spent my time studying more and reading an article for our Israeli class that we'd be quizzed on. After lunch it was more studying, then off to take the test. It wasn't nearly as bad as he had led us to believe. By far the worst part was the T/F portion. As if T/F isn't bad enough, he made us correct the wrong portion if we marked it false. Grrr... But I could see myself being happy with my score. I hope I'm right! Classes until dinner, and then Free Time!!! It took no thought at all to know that I was going to use my free time doing what I wanted to do. So I came down to my room and have spent the evening catching up on all of my blogs. :D And here I am, almost done. Wahoo! Well, I'm still minus Egypt. But I hear our days in Galilee are full of free time with no where to go. So hopefully you'll finally hear about Egypt then. Though, you may have to wait until I get back to the Center to post them. I'm not sure how the Internet situation is going to work out there. But I'll more than likely take my laptop, so then I'll be able to at least write every day. Wahoo! Happy day! :D

.... yeah. I think I'm done now. :D Time to go post everything!

No comments: