Thursday, May 24, 2007

May 22, 2007

Perhaps I shouldn't hit snooze so much. Especially since my snooze goes off every 3-5 minutes. My roommates are starting to mention how we should synch our alarm clocks so we don't have so many go off in the morning. I think that's my fault. Blasted living with four girls in one room. It's not as crammed in as one might think, however. It's not a bad apartment at all. Though, it's much more dorm style. Except that we get our own bathroom. But 4 beds, one little table, and one desk for all four of us. But who cares. We're here for 2 months and it's Jerusalem! :)

Old Testament was, for once, the relaxing class. It was rather funny to listen to Bro. Merrill as he got all tongue tied and said the wrong things. Especially when we all laughed and he wasn't sure why. So he'd have to stop and think about what he said. Most times he figured it out pretty quickly. Other times we had to tell him. Which, of course, made us all laugh even harder.

Next was Archaeology with Bro. Huntington. Quiz day. This time I think I aced it. Which makes me very happy. This is one I'm comfortable with, but definitely need review before I can do well. OT I stand a chance in if I don't study (but only a slim chance because he's a tough teacher), but Archaeology... haha! Not a chance. Especially because half of the questions are "According to Hoerth..." (the author). Which is a problem, because I don't exactly agree with his conclusions. He's all for a 15th century exodus from Egypt, whereas, everything I've studied in school the past few years points to a 13th century exodus. I've just dealt with it thus far, but today in class I couldn't take it anymore. So I tuned out Bro. Huntington long enough to write up an email to send to Avram, asking him to confirm to me that the 13th century is more likely and to please combat the evidence I'm hearing here. Tragically, I don't get Internet in that room (though all the PCs do... grrr), so it had to wait. And I didn't use my comp on the Internet the rest of the day. So it must be mailed tomorrow.

Last was the Israeli Modern Near East. We also had a quiz in there, which was bad, because no one had read. Oops? But really, we have to prioritize and the one credit classes definitely take back burner. But, miraculously, the little bit I had read and the cram studying we did just before class helped me through. I only missed one or two. Which isn't bad considering he gives us one free one. Wahoo!

Following class was lunch, then free time. This evening starts Shavuot (aka Pentecost) so a lot of things were closed. Hence, I decided to stay in instead of fighting the different stores or sites. Will they be open or not? So I worked on email, almost cleaned out my inbox, did some reading for tomorrow, and started cleaning for clean checks tomorrow. A half hour shopping trip down the hill later (to get Magnum ice cream bars for the snack bar), I came back sweating and promptly went back to the computer lab because it was cold. Cleaned out my inbox even more. Then it was time for linen exchange. Lauren helped me take up the sheets and towels that were left (Kathryn had already taken hers) and bring down the new clean stuff. (Talk about fast laundry!)

Lauren went to do laundry and I was left alone. I started making my bed and was hit by a stroke of genius. I wanted to serve my roommates, so I decided to make their beds! As I was making Kathryn's, I remembered back to when Rebecca Edwards would babysit and leave us Hershey kisses on our pillows. At that moment I wished I had some Kisses. But then it hit me! I had individually wrapped Ghirredelli Chocolate squares! Mmm... So, after a very long half hour or longer, I finally finished with the beds (they're a lot harder to make than I expected. But I'm happy to note that mine is by far the easiest to make) and placed the chocolate squares on their pillows.

I fully expected to keep a straight face when they saw their beds (or, more wisely, be out of the room), but alas, twas not to be. I was here for every single one. Without fail they asked me, "Who made my bed?!" Then, at the look on my face, they would give me a giant bear hug with much thanks as I protested, "I don't know what you're talking about." ~sigh. I have such a horrible poker face. Later we were talking about it and Theresa told me in all sincerity that it really made her day. That comment, right there, made the extra time, the bent back nail, and the frustration over square sheets more than worth it. Here's a testimony as to the power of service and how it does more for the person who serves than for the one who receives. Sure, I took a little time out to do something nice for my roommates, but their reactions, their sincere gratitude... wow. That's something powerful.

No comments: