Friday, June 6, 2008

France, part 9 - Lunch at Le Beouf sur la Place

So, I'm noticing that my blogs are centered around food. Well, what can you expect when I spend my entire day at work and eat such crazy meals? Don't worry, I'm gathering up pics for a more random picture blog. Also, I'm in the airport, waiting for my flight to Paris. I'm sure I'll have some fun non-food pictures there. Also, I didn't eat breakfast yesterday, so you don't have to see another picture of that. I suppose I could have taken a picture of my orange juice can from my mini-bar... oh well. Too late now.

Lunch today was at a very French restaurant (cuz they haven't been before now?) in Pessac (where we actually are. About 20 (?) km outside of Bordeaux. Isn't this just a fun picture? A large collection of tables outside... it just seems French to me. We sat inside, though, which I was grateful for, because it was a kind of cold day, and I didn't have a jacket. (Smart, Tianna. Don't pack a jacket. You're cold-blooded, for heaven's sake!)




JP likes to take pictures of everything. Her camera didn't have a good enough zoom, however, to get a good picture of these coffee cups, so I took it for her. I have to admit, despite the fact that I hate that smell, the cups are kind of cute.








Here is my placemat. "Eet ees everyting French! Wine, goat cheese, and bread." I was amazed at how beautiful the drawing was for something that was just thrown away. No, I did not keep it.










Here is our menu. Once again, all in French and no pictures. JP got the top middle one. Her potatoes were good, but I wasn't really in the mood to try crazy foods like she was. Plus, it had the pattee stuff like she had the night before, which was much better than the raw fish, I must admit, but I wouldn't want to eat it in large quantities. By this point, my stomach was just begging for a Hawaiian pizza or mashed potatoes. In fact, I went home that night and begged BJ for real food when I get home.

I ended up getting something off a hand-written menu: Salade, Serrano, tomates, mazaxelle, melon 14 €. Translation: Salad with tomatoes and mozzarella and melon on top of ham. "Is the ham cooked?" (I was paranoid by now.) "Umm.. I don't know. I seenk maybe not." "Well, if it is, can they make it without it? Or at least put it on the side?" He asked the waitress. Apparently I was making a fuss, because they argued back and forth for awhile, though she would randomly laugh, so I wasn't afraid I had made her angry. (Though, for the record, it was really busy, so I couldn't blame her for being frustrated at taking longer at our table.) When she left, Franck informed me that it was entirely up to the cook and whether he was in a good mood or not. I crossed my fingers. I guess we caught him on a good day, because they ended up putting everything on the side. (Yes, the ham was raw.) I have to say, the tomatoes and mozzarella were really good together. (JP says one of her favorite treats is melted cheese and tomatoes on toast. I must try this. It also had some unknown spice, some crazy pepper that has to be a mix of peppers and sea salt. The salad had sprouts and tomatoes and lettuce and was again drenched in some sort of vinaigrette that was far too strong for its own good. Poor Franck always looked up when I was pulling a face because the dressing was too strong. I'm sure he thought I hated it. It wasn't too bad. Especially with the cantaloupe that was divine... even with the spices and dressing on it. Though, I will admit that I was coveting JP's potatoes. She let me have one and they were good. Really good. But I do tend to favor potatoes... I'm an Idaho girl! :) But by the end, I was too full to even eat what she had left over.
Next... dessert! Having been impressed by the île flottante at the Hippopotamus, I decided to have another go at it. I forgot to take a picture until I had eaten half of it... so it looked a lot better about 3 minutes prior to this. But let's just say, it was delicious. These amazing desserts make the crazy gross food almost worth it. :)

2 comments:

Thora said...

I'm pretty sure the orange round fruit that you had in the last post is a gooseberry. They serve them here in England too; and they look totally like a little, yellow cherry tomato, but of course they don't taste the same at all.

Tay said...

wow. Tianna, i love your food escapades. It's a pity so much of the meat is raw, but i guess you have to risk the fancy restaurant style in order to get the fancy restaurant dessert!